Many patients seek lip enhancement or enlargement. Lip enhancement techniques may be separated into two kinds: temporary and permanent. Temporary techniques require the use of injectable fillers (Restylane® and JUVÉDERM®) repeated every 6-9 months to maintain their appearance. Permanent techniques generally involve the use of fat or implants, such as the Perma Facial Implant™.
Why People Choose Lip Enhancement
Patient may choose permanent lip enhancement for a number of reasons. Among the most remarkable aspects of these implants are their natural appearance. They can improve the volume, contour, and shape of the lip. Lip implants can enhance any of these four characteristics:
- Volume. The lips should be full, but not too full. The pink portion (vermillion) should be slightly visible. The lower lip should be slightly larger than or equal to the upper lip. The lip implant easily increases the volume of the lips.
- Upper Lip Length. As people age, the distance between the nose to the upper lip increases. Because of gravity and deflation, there is less vermillion over time. The lip implant can increase the vermillion show.
- Angle. The youthful upper lip turns up and out. Flattening and loss of the angle occurs with age. Perma Facial Implant™ can increase the volume of the lip and increase the angle of the upper lip.
- Wrinkles. Often referred to as “smoker’s lines,” these peri-oral wrinkles are accentuated over time by the activity of the underlying muscle. Treatment of these wrinkles may require a combination of modalities. The lip implant can enhance lost volume, reducing the number of wrinkles. In addition, patients may require the use of BOTOX® or Dysport® injections to reduce the activity of the muscle and use of lasers to reduce the number of wrinkles.
About Perma Facial Implant™ (Lip Implants)
The excitement surrounding this cosmetic enhancement breakthrough has been immediate and overwhelming both in the United States and in Europe. The implant is made in the United States and consists of soft, solid silicone so it cannot rupture, deflate or degrade over time. The implants correspond to the dimensions of the lip and the implants are available in a variety of diameters and lengths to accommodate the uniqueness of each person’s lip characteristics. The ends are tapered to conform naturally to the normal lip. Although it’s permanent, the Perma Facial Implant™ is also designed to be easily removable should a person wish to achieve a larger or smaller enhancement or even return to their original lip appearance.
- Natural appearance
- Soft silicone / but cannot rupture, deflate, or degrade over time
- Routine procedure performed under local anesthetic
- Resistant to tissue “in growth”
- Permanent, but easily replaceable or removable
- Does not restrict lip movement
- FDA approved
- Perma Facial Implant™ is an implant and NOT an injection of silicone
During your initial consultation, your plastic surgeon will perform a thorough facial analysis to determine if you are a good candidate for lip enhancement (lip implants). He will also help you select an implant size to achieve your desired outcome. The goal of the consultation is for you to obtain all the information you need to make an informed decision regarding lip implants. Following your consultation, you will have a better understanding of how lip implants can help you achieve fuller and more youthful lips.
Approximately 2 weeks prior to surgery, you will have a pre-operative appointment. At this time, you will sign the surgical consent, have photos taken, and receive an information packet. The pre-operative packet includes detailed instructions for before and after surgery. It is important to avoid aspirin, ibuprofen, and other blood thinning medications for at least two weeks before surgery. You will be given a medical strength mouth wash to start the day before surgery. You may eat a light breakfast on the day of your procedure.
About the Operation
Lip enhancement (lip implant) takes approximately 30 minutes for each lip. This operation can be safely performed in the office under local anesthesia. After completely numbing the lips, a small incision is made on the inside of the corners of the mouth. The incisions are placed in hidden locations so are not visible. At the conclusion of the operation, a dissolvable suture will be placed to close the incision.
Patients go home on the same day as surgery. The recovery period is relatively rapid with most patients feeling very well by 2-3 days. Avoid crunchy food or food with sharp edges for 1 week. Dr. Liu will follow you closely during the recovery period and will let you know when you can resume full activities. Swelling and bruising from lip surgery is worst at 48 hours and usually lasts around 5 days.
Contact Liu Plastic Surgery
Whatever the reason, surgical lip enhancement (lip implant, Perma Facial Implant™, SurgiSil®) can improve the appearance and fullness of the lips and provide significant personal benefits for the right candidate. To find out if surgical lip enhancement (lip implant, Perma Facial Implant™, SurgiSil®) is right for you, please schedule an appointment with Dr. Jerome Liu or Dr. Tom Liu.