How Much Does Breast Augmentation Cost?
The cost of any breast augmentation procedure is broken down into four components:
1) Surgeon Fees
2) Implant Cost
3) Facility Fees (Operating Room)
4) Anesthesia Fees
Often there is a wide range of quoted prices, leading to to a lot of uncertainty for patients, because it might be difficult for them to judge quality.
1) Surgeon Fees – When having surgery, it is important! Remember: it’s not about the price, it’s about the surgeon (a heavily discounted fee could potentially mean your surgeon is inexperienced and/or unqualified). Some things about your surgeon that are taken into consideration for this fee include:
- They are qualified to perform plastic surgery (board certified)
- They are well-versed in breast augmentation
- They are a current member of ASAPS
2) Implant Cost – There are many types and brands of breast implants. Broadly speaking, implants can be divided between saline and silicone. Saline implants are made of a silicone shell and filled with saline in the operating room. These implants are generally less expensive and range in price from $1,000-$1,500 for a pair. Silicone implants are made of a silicone shell and filled with cohesive gel or form-stable silicone. Silicone implants are more expensive and range in price from $1,600-$2,400 for a pair.
Click here for a comparison between saline and silicone implants. Additional information is available on our blog.
3) Facility Fees – Facility fees cover the cost of using the operating room. Based on the quality of the operating room and the local cost of doing business, the range here can vary. The most important aspect of an operating room is that it is certified by an organization such as AAAHC (Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care) or AAAASF (The American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgery Facilities, Inc.), which are the premier organizations for examining O.R. safety. No matter how cheap, don’t deviate from a certified operating room. It just isn’t worth the risk. O.R. fees typically run from $1,200-$2,200.
4) Anesthesia Fees – Although the board-certified plastic surgeon is doing the operation, he/she couldn’t do it without the team. The anesthesiologist is the team member that helps to ensure your comfort and safety. Not all anesthesiologists are the same — some are much more skilled in a smooth journey to and from sweet dreams. Beware the surgeon who does the operation without an anesthesiologist. Anesthesia fees typically range from $600-$1,200.
The overall price range for breast augmentation is wide, and shopping for a surgeon and surgical team can sometimes be daunting. Ultimately, it is crucial to remember that you should never sacrifice quality for price. It just isn’t worth it in the long run.